Osteoarthritis of the knee is best diagnosed and treated by an orthopedic surgeon, also known as an orthopedist. This is a common specialty, so there may be many of these orthopedic doctors in your area. To find a doctor, consider the doctor’s location, whether you were referred by another health care professional, if the doctor participates in your insurance plan, and whether the doctor uses knee bracing to treat osteoarthritis.
- If you have a family doctor or primary care physician, ask him or her for a referral to a doctor who specializes in orthopedic medicine.
- If you don’t have a doctor who can give you a referral, go to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) website and search for orthopedic doctors in your state. Here’s how:
- Go to the lookup feature on the AAOS website: Find an Orthopaedist
- On “Choose a search method,” select “Zip Code.”
- In the “Search By Zip Code” box, enter your zip code and search by distance from your home.
- Click the “Search” button.
Physicians will be listed alphabetically, and the doctor’s information will include location, contact information and “Anatomical Specialties.” Look for doctors who list “Knee” as a specialty.
- After you have a list of possible doctors, check with your insurance company (if you have insurance) to see which doctors are included in your plan. Breg OA knee braces are covered by most insurance.
- Contact the doctors who remain on your list, and ask if they prescribe Breg’s OA knee braces. If a doctor is not familiar with Breg’s OA braces, he or she can get more information by calling Breg at 800-321-0607, or by visiting Breg’s website.
By following these steps, hopefully you will have found a good match with an orthopedic doctor!